Dabbling in void magic often leads to unexpected and horrific results. A voidwracked mage is a spellcaster whose reckless experimentation has accidentally fused it with a portal to the Void itself. The driving purpose of a voidwracked mage is to increase the total entropy of the multiverse by consuming creatures with the event horizon to which it is fused. A voidwracked mage often serves more powerful void-touched creatures.
Medium humanoid (any race), chaotic evil
Armor Class 15 (natural armor)
Hit Points 78 (12d8 + 24)
Speed 30 ft.
|10 (+0)||16 (+3)||14 (+2)||20 (+5)||8 (–1)||11 (+0)|
Saving Throws Intelligence +8, Wisdom +2
Skills Arcana +8, History +8
Damage Resistances cold, necrotic; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Senses passive Perception 9
Languages Void Speech plus any four languages
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Event Horizon. Creatures pulled through the event horizon via the voidwracked mage’s Accretion ability or that pass through it willingly become trapped in the void. A trapped creature is unable to breathe and can’t cast spells with verbal components. At the end of its turn, the trapped creature takes 14 (4d6) necrotic damage and 9 (2d8) cold damage. A trapped creature that is not incapacitated can escape if a rope or long pole is passed to it from the outside. Either the creature itself or an ally outside of the event horizon must succeed on a DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check to pull the creature out. The voidwracked mage can also release a trapped creature as an action.
- Horizon Collapse. When the voidwracked mage is reduced to 0 hp, its event horizon collapses after 1 minute. Creatures trapped in the void when the event horizon collapses are lost and can only be restored by a wish or true resurrection spell.
- Insane. The voidwracked mage has advantage on saving throws against being charmed or frightened.
- Spellcasting. The voidwracked mage is a 9th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Intelligence (spell save DC 16, +8 to hit with spell attacks). The voidwracked mage has the following wizard spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): chill touch, mage hand, prestidigitation, ray of frost
- 1st level (4 slots): cause fear, magic missile, ray of sickness, shield
- 2nd level (3 slots): darkness, misty step, scorching ray
- 3rd level (3 slots): counterspell, dispel magic, fireball
- 4th level (3 slots): black tentacles, blight
- 5th level (1 slot): cone of cold
- Void Touch. Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (4d6) necrotic damage.
- Accretion (Recharge 5–6). The voidwracked mage creates a strong gravitational pull in a 20-foot cone. Each creature in that area must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. On a failure, the creature takes 28 (8d6) force damage and is pulled through the voidwracked mage’s event horizon. On a success, the creature takes half the damage and is knocked prone but isn’t pulled into the event horizon.
Creature Codex. © 2018 Open Design LLC; Authors Wolfgang Baur, Dan Dillon, Richard Green, James Haeck, Chris Harris, Jeremy Hochhalter, James Introcaso, Chris Lockey, Shawn Merwin, and Jon Sawatsky.