Large humanoid (hobgoblin, shapechanger), lawful evil
Armor Class 16 (natural armor, scarification)
Hit Points 230 (27d10 + 81)
Speed 30 ft., swim 40 ft. (in shark form only)
|18 (+4)||14 (+2)||17 (+3)||14 (+2)||13 (+1)||15 (+2)|
Saving Throws Intelligence +6, Wisdom+5, Charisma+6
Skills Perception +5, Stealth +6
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons
Damage Resistances necrotic
Senses darkvision 60 ft., blindsense 30 ft. (shark or hybrid form only); passive Perception 15
Languages Common, Goblin, Tribal
Challenge 11 (7,200 XP)
- Amphibious. A wereshark can breathe air or water.
- Blood Frenzy. A wereshark has advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn’t have all its hit points.
- Rage. Once per turn, the wereshark chieftain can deal an extra 17 (5d6) damage to a creature he hits with a weapon attack.
- Scarification. While the wereshark chieftain is wearing no armor and wielding no shield, his AC includes his Constitution modifier (included).
- Sea Frenzy. While mounted on a creature that has a swim speed all damage the wereshark chieftain does with a melee weapon is increased by 1 die (for example, 1d8 becomes 2d8). He may use one of his megalodon mount’s melee attack options as part of his multiattack action.
- Shapechanger. The wereshark chieftain can use its action to polymorph into a Large shark-humanoid hybrid or into a hunter shark, or back into its true form, which is humanoid. Its statistics, other than its AC, and its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
- Multiattack. The wereshark chieftain makes three melee attacks. Alternatively, he can make two ranged attacks with his javelins. In hybrid form, he can substitute a bite for one melee weapon attack.
- Bite (Shark or Hybrid form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 13 (2d8 + 4) piercing damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with wereshark lycanthropy.
- Trident (Humanoid or Hybrid form only). Melee or Ranged Weapon Attack: +8 to hit, reach 10 ft. or range 20/60 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d6 + 4) piercing damage, or 8 (1d8 + 4) piercing damage if used with two hands to make a melee attack.
- Reckless Abandon (Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). For 1 minute, the wereshark chieftain gains advantage on attack rolls but grants advantage to attackers.
- Destroyer. As a reaction the wereshark chieftain can make a melee attack against a creature he has dropped to 0 hit points or when he has scored a critical hit.
- Mounted Warrior. As a reaction the wereshark chieftain can halve the damage of an attack that hits his megalodon mount.
Before Combat. He drinks his potion of magic fang (this potion gives him an additional +1 to hit and damage in shark or hybrid form for 1 minute).
During Combat. If alerted, the wereshark chieftain repeatedly uses Sea Frenzy, charging against an enemy as often as he can, using Rage and Reckless Abandon. If prevented from charging, he and his mount will move in for melee.
Morale. The wereshark chieftain never surrenders, fighting to the death.
Pirate Campaign Compendium © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer Jason Nelson. Authors: Alex Augunas, Jeff Gomez, Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Victoria Jaczko, Jonathan H. Keith, Lyz Liddell, Thomas J. Phillips, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Loren Sieg, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Rachel Ventura, Michael D. Welham, Linda Zayas-Palmer.