Medium humanoid (hobgoblin, shapechanger), chaotic evil
Armor Class 13 in humanoid form, 14 (natural armor) in shark or hybrid form (16 With barkskin in all forms)
Hit Points 90 (12d8 + 36)
Speed 30 ft., swim 40 ft. (in shark form only)
|16 (+3)||14 (+2)||16 (+3)||8 (-2)||16 (+3)||8 (-2)|
Skills Medicine +6, Nature +1, Perception +6, Stealth +5
Damage Immunities bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons; Senses blindsense 30 ft. (shark or hybrid form only); passive Perception 16
Languages Aquan, Common, Druidic, Goblin
Challenge 8 (3,900 XP)
- Amphibious. The wereshark shaman can breathe air or water.
- Blood Frenzy. The wereshark shaman has advantage on melee attack rolls against any creature that doesn’t have all its hit points.
- Shapechanger. The wereshark shaman can use its action to polymorph into a shark-humanoid hybrid or into a hunter shark, or back into its true form, which is humanoid. Its statistics, other than its AC, and its size, are the same in each form. Any equipment it is wearing or carrying isn’t transformed. It reverts to its true form if it dies.
- Spellcasting. The wereshark shaman is an 8th-level spellcaster. His spellcasting ability is Wisdom (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). He has the following druid spells prepared:
- Cantrips (at will): druidcraft, poison spray (2d12 damage), shillelagh
- 1st level (4 slots): entangle, longstrider, hydraulic push, thunderwave
- 2nd level (3 slots): barkskin, pernicious poison, slipstream
- 3rd level (3 slots): call lightning, conjure animals, tidal wave
- 4th level (2 slots): freedom of movement, watery sphere
- Multiattack (Hybrid form only). In humanoid form, the wereshark shaman makes two shillelagh attacks. In hybrid form, he can substitute a bite for one melee weapon attack.
- Bite (Shark or Hybrid form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 12 (2d8 + 3) piercing damage. If the target is a humanoid, it must succeed on a DC 14 Constitution saving throw or be cursed with wereshark lycanthropy.
- Shillelagh (Humanoid or Hybrid form only). Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 7 (1d8 + 3) bludgeoning damage and 10 (3d6) poison damage.
- Summon Elemental (1/Day). The wereshark shaman magically summons a water elemental. The summoned elemental appears in an unoccupied space within 60 feet of its summoner and acts as an ally of its summoner. It remains for 10 minutes, until it or its summoner dies, or until its summoner dismisses it as an action.
Before Combat. Wereshark shamans often patrol wild shaped into the form of 6-inch-long Diminutive cat sharks (treat as a quipper).
During Combat. Wereshark shamans remain wild shaped, using tidal wave to capsize boats or submerge flying enemies, then using conjure animals to summon 4 reef sharks to flank with their allies and block enemy movement. They use pernicious poison early in a fight, followed by poison spray (and summoning giant lizards rather than sharks if fighting on or near land). If combat is imminent, they cast barkskin before resuming hybrid form, using their poisoned shillelagh.
While all lycanthropes have a certain affinity for their animalistic side, these shark shamans take that communion to an incredible depth. The blood of the shark flows in their veins, the selfsame sharks they worship as a thing divine.
Pirate Campaign Compendium © 2018, Legendary Games; Lead Designer Jason Nelson. Authors: Alex Augunas, Jeff Gomez, Matt Goodall, Jim Groves, Tim Hitchcock, Victoria Jaczko, Jonathan H. Keith, Lyz Liddell, Thomas J. Phillips, Alistair J. Rigg, Alex Riggs, Loren Sieg, Neil Spicer, Todd Stewart, Rachel Ventura, Michael D. Welham, Linda Zayas-Palmer.