Funglets are the children of the mushroom jungles of the underworld. They are true children of nature, embracing the fungal forests they call home as though each individual capped stalk growing in the subterranean soil were a cousin or sibling. Philosophers have come to believe that they are the sentient expression of lush underworld forests, literally made for and by the mushrooms themselves. While they are predominantly loners, a small society of funglets have gathered in a fungal jungle.
Funglets are a tall and thin race, typically no shorter than 7 feet in height. Despite their prodigious size, they are a slight peoples and are actually rather weak given their stature. There are three types of funglet, each patterned to have different colors: the fantas are reddish-brown in complexion (with darker spots), the audires are colored much like a bright, sprouting flower and the maculous are a light tannic brown, covered in off-yellow spores. The eyes of these fungal giants are hooded by the mushroom caps that comprise their skulls, often casting shadows over their surprisingly small mouths.
In the past, funglets were lonesome creatures, tending to the groves of their birth rather than their relationships with other underworlders. Now that The Confluence has come to an end, some of the giant mushroom men have taken to traveling away from the fungal forests they call home and establishing relations with races they previously ignored or gathering together to form communities of their own. Their tightly-knit settlements are seamlessly woven into underworld groves, typically in burgeoning mushroom jungles being expanded and tended to by the funglets.
The solitary lives led by their ancestors have left the funglets rather at a loss when dealing with other races of the Underworld. They are rarely perceived as the gentle giants they are, and they see the fear at their prodigious height and ultimately become quite apprehensive with others. Despite their poisonous appearance, masculosfunglets are the most well-liked variety, though the fantasfunglets are valued repositories of knowledge and audirefunglets are respected for their deep connection to the natural world.
Alignment and Religion
Overwhelmingly, funglets are a race of Good-aligned creatures (a true rarity in the Underworld), although there is always the occasional, anomalous growth of an evil funglet, they are uncommon at best. The Natural Force is the principal god of funglets, worshipped by each in their own way.
Funglets may be adventuring for any number of reasons: to carry abundant spores to new regions of the Underworld, seek out areas recently reached by the Honningsop Mushroom or, in the rare case their own grove has been destroyed or overtaken, to establish a new fungal forest. They are capable warriors of every stripe despite their slow reflexes and lacking strength, but prove to be truly potent spellcasters.
Many of these mages or holy mushrooms leave their homes inadvertently on unintended rites of passage inspired by hallucinogenic minerals found in locales known only to their proudest shamans. On the whole, however, they are largely druids or rangers, though not exclusively so.
Male Names: Bollet, Carssish, Ergan, Mraln, Rork, Yawlohh
Female Names: Bidoa, Fettla, Helnaa, Lortta, Solvi, Tallaa
Funglets and Mushroom Jungles
Previously they were quite sparse, but now funglets are becoming a common sight in fungal forests. When entering into a mushroom jungle, an Intelligence (Nature) check (DC 20) informs a traveler if they near a settlement of the funglets. Signs of their passing are ubiquitous to those that know them, the giants tromping through the subterranean soil and tending to the vast mushrooms that dominate the regions they inhabit. of all the Underworld races, they are often perceived as the most kindly and approachable; many survivors of Underworld expeditions praise them highly for providing a safe place to rest from the countless dangers of the endless caves. Explorers ought to be wary, however; myceloids have been known to enchant themselves to appear as funglets to lure unsuspecting travelers to their untimely deaths.
Your funglet character has an assortment of inborn abilities that are part of your nature.
- Ability Score Increases. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
- Age. Funglets mature much slower than humans; they’re considered young until the age of 72. They can live up to almost 1000 years.
- Alignment. Most funglets have a tendency towards being good, an rare thing indeed in the dangerous underworld. While occasional, anomalous evil funglets exist, these individuals remain few and thankfully rare.
- Size. Funglets stand between 7 and 10. 5 feet tall and weigh at least 235 pounds, but can grow to weigh ten times as much. Your size is Medium.
- Speed. Your base walking speed is 20 feet.
- Condition Immunities. You are immune to the blinded, deafened and frightened conditions due to your fungal nature.
- Damage Immunity. You are immune to poison damage.
- Fire Vulnerability. You are vulnerable to fire damage due to your fungal heritage.
- Sunlight Sensitivity. While in sunlight, you have disadvantage on attack rolls as well as on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.
- Superior Darkvision. Accustomed to life in the lightless depths, you have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 120 ft. of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
- Languages. You can speak read and write Sylvan and Common and generally can understand the basics of Draconic. Funglets converse in a relatively slow and ponderous tone.
There are three subraces of funglets: Audirefunglets, fantafunglets and maculosfunglets. Choose one of these subraces.
Audirefunglets are the wise shepherds of the fungal forests.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Wisdom score increases by 2.
- Mushroom Whisperer. You gain the ability to comprehend and verbally communicate with fungi, plants and molds. The knowledge and awareness of many these things is limited by their intelligence, but at minimum, they can give you information about nearby locations and monsters, including whatever they can perceive or have perceived within the past day. You might be able to persuade a beast to perform a small favor for you, at the GM’s discretion.
Fantasfunglets represent the relentless, plodding guardians of funglet-kind.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Intelligence score increases by 2.
- Bulky Advance. Your speed is not reduced by wearing heavy armor.
- Fleet of Foot. At 3rd level, your base walking speed increases to 35 feet.
Maculosfunglets are poisonous and powerful.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2.
- Maculosfunglet Venom (Injury). The rhizomorphs within your maculosfunglet body are poisonous and a may produce poison. A number of times equal to your Constitution modifier per day, you can envenom a weapon with toxic saliva or your blood as an action. A creature subjected to this poison must succeed on a Constitution saving throw with a DC equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + Constitution modifier or take 1d6 points of poison damage and become poisoned for 1 minute. This damage increases to 2d6 at 3rd level, 3d6 at 8th level, 4d6 at 13th level and 5d6 at 18th level. At each of these levels, you also get an additional use of your poison. The creature affected must repeat the saving throw at the start of each of its turns. A successful save neutralizes the poison. As a reaction to being bitten by a foe, you can expend one use of your poison to poison the creature who attacked you with a bite attack. Your poison quickly spoils when exposed to air, preventing you from harvesting and selling the poison. Your poison rhizomorphs produce new doses of poison on a long rest.
Underworld Races and Classes © 2017 AAW Games LLC; Designers: Thilo Graf and Mike Myler